Name Changes

Preferred Name Policy

Current students can indicate a “preferred” first and/or middle name, which is a name the student wishes to be commonly known as, if different from their legal first and/or middle name.  Updates to preferred name can be made through myUChicago.

Preferred name will only be seen via Class Rosters, Grade Rosters, Chalk, and the Online Directory.

Primary name will continue to be the student’s legal name.  Primary name will be what appears on the transcript, diploma, UChicago Card, and any documentation involving financial aid, student accounts, or international student status. Students must continue to use their primary names when conducting official University business.  To change the name listed on any University of Chicago official documents, students must follow the procedures listed above for changing their name on their student records.

Please Note: Preferred names will be regularly reviewed.  Any entries deemed to be offensive will be removed by the Office of the University Registrar.

Legal Name Changes

Students who wish to change their legal name on their student records should use the following guidelines to request the change:

  • You must be able to present current official government-issued documentation showing the correct spelling of your new name.  Accepted documentation can include a passport, driver's license, or court order.
  • You must complete the Change of Name Form.  Please note that when completing this form you should not sign until you are in the presence of a notary public or a member of the University Registrar's staff.  If you are mailing in your request, you may send it to:
                          Office of the University Registrar 
                          1427 East 60th Street
                          Chicago, IL 60637
  • International Students wishing to change their names in the University records should contact the Office of International Affairs prior to submitting the Change of Name form to the Office of the University Registrar to ensure the proposed change is acceptable.
  • Graduating Students should submit any name change requests to the Office of the University Registrar at least 2 months before they are expected to graduate.
  • Alumni should also contact Alumni Relations to request a name change.  Submitting a Change of Name Form to the Office of the University Registrar will not automatically update your alumni record.
  • Student Employees: if you are an employee of the University of Chicago, you will also need to contact HR Services to update your employee record with your new name.

For information on using your preferred name on your diploma, contact Scott Cambpell, University Registar, at

For the most up-to-date information on legal name changes and diploma reissuances, please visit the University Registrar's website.